Monday, April 05, 2010

Countdown - 12 days!



Twelve days left before Sealy's first practice match (Novice A).  

(For the people out there who don't know the first thing about dog obedience:  think of this as a sport where the human and canine partners work together as a team.  It's quite wonderful to watch - the dogs obviously enjoy working! In fact the regulations specify that it's essential for the dogs to demonstrate willingness and enjoyment.)

Yesterday I printed out the regulations  (Novice is on p. 43-47) and read them over carefully.  I also wrote up a list of common handler errors I've witnessed in the past - things that I need to remember avoid doing myself!  

Here are the Novice exercises and how's Sealy's doing so far:

Heel on Leash and Figure Eight – these exercises show that the dog has learned to watch its handler and to adjust both its direction and pace (faster or slower) to stay with the handler. Together these are worth 40 points.
Sealy's attention (looking at me) wanders when I'm not talking to her and praising her, but it's probably good enough to qualify.  Her about turns are good, she sometimes lags on the right turn and crowds on the left turn.  She has good changes of pace.  I need to work with her on the automatic sits (and with me to avoid twisting myself around to try and see her!).

Stand for Examination – the dog stays in a standing position off-leash as its handler walks six feet away, and continues to stand without moving as the the judge approaches the dog and  lightly touches the its head, body and hindquarters, and the handler returns to the dog.  This is worth 30 points.
Oh, this is a hard one for wiggly happy Sealy who wants more than anything to jump up and greet people with kisses and licks!  I'm still working with her on-leash for this, and so far have only moved about two feet away, not six.  When the person approaching her makes eye contact she's far likely to move her paws;  with direct no eye contact she's much steadier. 

Heel Free – the dog and handler perform a heeling pattern with the dog off-leash.  This is worth 40 points.
I haven't done this at all with her yet, so far have just placed the leash over my shoulder.  At the match I will ask to do this on-leash since she's not ready yet off-leash. 

Recall – demonstrates that the dog will come to the handler on command.  30 points.
Sealy has a reliable sit, a very fast recall, but no front and is still getting help from me (my feet) for the finish.     

Long Sit - the dog must remain sitting for one minute in the presence of other dogs while the handler stands across the ring.  30 points.
Sealy's very steady on this (I've been working her far longer periods of time.)

Long Down – the dog must remain in a down position for three minutes in the presence of other dogs while the handler stands across the ring.  30 points.
Sealy's very steady on this (I've been working her for far longer periods of time.)

In summary:  we likely could "qualify" (awarded at least half the points) on all the exercises except for Heel Free.   My goals for the match, what I want to work on the most in the next 12 days:  automatic sits, straight(er) front,  getting more distance on the stand, and fading my feet from the finish command.

Now...time to leave the computer and go practice with Sealy!

No comments: