Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Remembered

I attend an awful lot of arts events each year, and in truth most of them don't stick with me.  One of the questions in a radio interview today was what were the most memorable performances I've recently attended.  Four sprang immediately to mind, and since they're so diverse I thought I'd share them here.




The incomparable Sarah Cahill, performing Ingram Marshell's Authentic Presence on a March 28, 2010 program at Caramoor.   (Disclaimer - this photo is of another composition on her program.)  I adore Sarah's playing, and I still have this piece - heard by me for the first time that evening - resounding inside my head (and heart).


The Metropolitan Opera's production of Phillip Glass' Satyagraha (from the 2007-2008 season).  Yes, of course, that last tenor aria is sublime, but what really struck me - and stuck with me - was the incredible stage magic of the Improbable Theater Company.


Pauline Oliveros and Susie Ibarra's set at The Stone last Saturday night.   Two incredible artists (that night using digital accordion and percussion).  I often "hear" colors, but this was the first time that listening invoked a smell.  (Skunk!).  


Les Éphémères by Le Thèâtre du Soleil at the Lincoln Center Festival (summer 2009).   A transcendently compassionate transformative production, directed by Ariane Mnouchkine.



No comments: