Saturday, May 01, 2010

Is Music Gay?


This fall, Joseph Dalton began a blog called My Gay Ears about gay composers and musicians, and up yesterday went a profile/interview of me in his  "queeries" section.

As anyone who knows me might have predicted, I'm not especially easy to categorize - I identify with my name, as a musician, but not with much else.  While it's rather difficult  for me to imagine just how the noun or verb or even adjective of being "lesbian" translates audibly into my performances or compositions (and even if it does, what would it matter?)  at the same time I am the sum of my parts, and this is a part of me, so when invited to be "queeried" by Jody I said yes.  I'm very curious to read how people respond to this piece, so please - leave a comment on that site!  (The comments section is at the very end of the story, under the box for the Amazon store.)

PS For those who don't know, Jody (as he's known) was CRI's Executive Director for about a decade (remember the Gay American Composers Vol. 1 & 2, and Lesbian American Composers compilations CDs?).    Now he's an arts writer and consultant.  (He was also a congressional page and an Eagle scout...)

No comments: