Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Upstate

July 11, 2006

I have to admit that upstate New York has never held much appeal to me. However, I visited a friend's husband's cousin's house for a few days, and had a surprising experience. The area seemed gentle, positively bucolic. We feasted on sheep's cheese picked up from a farm. (I've never seen a farm so clean.) There were lots of lambs about, and a worker said we could go in a watch them closer. While there a bunch of sheep went by to be milked, and the lambs bleated, each with a distinctive voice - wish I'd had a DAT with me. Plus fresh tomatoes, and that day's corn. And several hammocks. The pond above looked more than a bit iffy - brown and mucky, with lots of leaves (remember, I grew up near the ocean) but I finally worked up the nerve to get in after my friend assured me that it was spring fed and had several exits. It felt wonderful, the water must be full of minerals.

And then there was watching a full, full orange moon rise over the meadow into the sky.


I need to get out more!

No comments: