Sunday, April 02, 2006

This pit is the pits

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."
William Shakespeare



And so it was with our community garden, back when we had a community garden - an oasis drawing strangers and neighbors (sometimes these are the same) together to ooh and ahh and just plain admire. One week there was a bakesale for the garden, the next week it was gone, and since then it's been empty.

Now, a year later "they're" starting to do something with the lot. Just what, I dunno...while zoned for residential use, it's a very small lot, irregulary shaped, and on a hill. Rumor has it that it was too difficult to find a buyer when the garden was there - who would want to take on that battle? So the garden was destroyed - literally overnight - and then the property sold relatively quickly. I've heard that it will be: a condo, with parking underneath; a medical building (???); and a parking lot.

I'd often imaged buying up the lot and designing a home: three stories, with a large open bottom floor as a studio space and for rehearsals, and then living areas up above - one floor for me, and one floor for my uncle, each cut back for a large terrace. But even in my dreams I could never have displaced the garden.

No comments: